If you are consistent with rustic style in kitchen design, then the room should be decorated with natural materials only. Moreover, you are absolutely free in the decoration methods.
Decoration with plaster is preferable in this style. The plaster can be smooth or textured. Open brickwork, stone cladding, sheathing board are used quite widely. It is important that the wall decoration does not look too neat, as some clumsiness and the deliberate roughness suits the rural aesthetics in the best way. In addition, the walls may be simply painted, whitewashed or covered with wallpaper with a subtle pattern. However, you should not use the tiles in a rustic kitchen. In some cases, this trimming method is used to decorate the wall in the sink area. The tiles should meet the spirit of the room, for example, to simulate the stone or have jagged edges.
Natural wood floors is the standard solution for rustic kitchen. A decent choice can be the usage of ceramic tiles or porcelain tiles, parquet boards with expressive structure. Unglazed ceramic tiles with aged effect will look great on the floor. You may even add small handmade rugs.
Modern suspended or false ceilings are alien to rustic style. Therefore, you would better do usual painting. Ceiling finishing with decorative beams fits the style perfectly. The beams may be wooden or made of polyurethane in imitation of wood.
Traditionally, designers hang forged, metal or wooden “antique" chandelier on the ceiling. Local lighting can be provided by brass lamps, wrought-iron sconces, lamps with wicker or glass shades.
Rustic style decor
You can underline rustic style in the kitchen with original accessories. They enliven the interior introducing the breath of nature. We should use the following for decoration of this rural area:
- natural textiles: cotton curtains with ruffles and gathers, linen pillows on sofas, chair covers, woven rugs, embroidered towels and tablecloths, crocheted napkins;
- ovenware and pottery, antique kitchen utensils, placed on open shelves and in various plasterboard niches;
- everyday objects, that reflect the national character of the chosen rustic style direction, for example, Russian samovar and painted trays;
- heirlooms transmitted from generation to generation: photographs, candlesticks, boxes;
- natural materials: garlands, woven from pepper, onion, garlic, herbs or straw and dry flowers twisted in braids.
Look also scandinavian style kitchen, it has same attributes. You do not need major investments of time and skills of a professional designer to create kitchen design in rustic style. There are no strict clear rules apart from the fact that the interior should give a sense of comfort, peace, and security.