Well-chosen furniture for retro kitchen gives 50 percent of success in the difficult task of recreating the spirit of the past. How to achieve the desired result?
The first option is to search for these antique pieces of furniture, on which, most likely, you will have to work hard: to grind, to paint and to give spectacular and stylish appearance. Surely, this path involves considerable material costs.
If you do not have enough financial resources for such an expensive pleasure, you may buy or order kitchen sets and dining group sets made in retro style. Such furniture is made from wood or MDF, with PVC coating. It will cost cheaper, and may only slightly be different from antiques. After all, producers actively use various methods of aging (patina, brushed, craquele finishing) in its production. Moreover, manufacturers take into consideration the interior characteristics of the appropriate era.
Five important aspects when you choose the furniture
Working on the retro kitchen furnishing, you should consider the following nuances:
- Kitchen sets did not exist until mid-century. The kitchen setting included widely used buffets, sideboards, cupboards, showcases, the totality of which today can be conditionally called a set of furniture.
- It is best to replace the upper modules of the kitchen with open shelves and to cover the bottom with kitchen pedestal tables with hinged shutters and a drawer under the tabletop.
- The surface of the hinged doors may be quite varied. However, if you prefer Victorian or art Deco style, choose the paneled facades decorated with carved or inlaid. In addition, bright and smooth cabinets’ shutters will perfectly complement the retro kitchen of 50's and 60's.
- Wooden furniture will look great with countertops made of natural or artificial stone, ceramic tiles, and thoughtfully chosen accessories: handles and hinges are under brass and copper forged components.
- Styling of earlier eras required massive dining table and the same impressive chairs. The middle of the last century, which is relatively close to us, was not so demanding of these interior items: a small table of simple design and bright chairs or stools (even plastic!) are enough here.